Friday, August 1, 2008

Road Warrior




Last week I had spent another barnstorming madcap journey through Southern California. The first evening I had met up with The Meek at the Troubadour where they were playing an early set with the Vandelles and the Warlocks. It was a decent show but since the Troubadour has a strict no filming policy I was restricted to a few snapshots. A major highlight though was meeting actor Michael J. Pollard, I’ve loved that guy since I first watched him as a kid on the original series of Star Trek. The rest of that night ended up being a sleepless one in the Hollywood Hills followed by a long drive to Ramona the next day deep in San Diego County. I met up with my old time friend and Fear Control Cinema comrade Rob Dafoe where we caught Cash’d Out, a fairly good Johnny Cash cover band that had happened to make a rare performance in the old town theater. The next day Rob and I made our way down the hill to downtown San Diego for Comicon, the largest comic convention of it’s kind and known for attendees in elaborate costumes. I was there for research and to promote the development of my new project “Satan’s Ranch”. The highlight was definitely shaking the hulking hand of Lou Ferrigno. That same evening I had returned to Hollywood and then later to Little Tokyo for more snapshots and the comfort of my hotel. The following day I spent with another old friend Kathleen at her Walteria for Living headquarters and then made it to the Echo for another Meek show, this time with Singapore Sling. I had filmed previously on a few occasions at the Echo with no problems (see Pearls & Brass at Arthur Fest)  but it seems they too are now adopting a strict no filming policy where I had to obtain a wristband and was even still questioned. Jeeezzz. 

PHOTOS CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT: 1) AMAZING GRACE / TORRENCE JACKSON 2) WALTERIA FOR LIVING HQ 3) OLD SCHOOL WALK OF FAME HEROES  4) LARRI ZULU AND HOTTIE 5) LEGENDARY COMIC BOOK ARTIST FELDSTEIN 6) LARRI ZULU WITH THE MAYOR OF TROMAVILLE LLYOD KAUFMAN 7) GUSTAV KLIMT SKETCHES 8) SUNSET SNAP SHOT ON FREEWAY 9) THE MEEK 10) HANGING WITH MR. POLLARD 11) SIGN OF THE TIMES 12) CASH'D OUT 13) B-MOVIE ICON TURA SATANA GETS HASSLED BY THE MAN

ALL PHOTOS ©2008 JAMES JACKSON : ANY REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT EXPRESSED WRITTEN CONSENT.

No comments: