Sunday, August 24, 2008

Outside Lands



 

   

If it wasn't for some friends rolling into town I would have skipped the Outside Lands music festival held this weekend in Golden Gate Park. Considering the rip off ticket prices, obscene hidden fees, massive crowds, congestion, huge lines, and transportation issues, the line up didn't seem really worth it -- and this was supposed to be a festival? Where's the fire breathing midgets and the knife throwers?  

Don't get me wrong though, I was there to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. I have to admit I was kinda fired up on that since I'd never seen them. You can't go wrong with a vetted rocker like that -- that is unless you hire a shitty sound outfit out of Berkley whose PA blows out about seven songs in and stalls the show flat. Petty rocked it though, you can tell he's a cool customer and I had thought his support by Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals was fairly solid.  But, for more than half the price you could have caught a more intimate show at the Fillmore, and if the big attraction was the festival itself -- all I can really say is anyone can rent a big top -- rows of overflowed porta poty's, heaps of trash, and dozens of beer gardens don't make much for a festival. There needs to be some action! The few attractions like a couple art installations were thin. There were a few pretty girls though and I did have a good time. I may even give it another shot if there's one next year with a better lineup -- otherwise the wallet rape carries too much shame.

PHOTOS CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT: 1) THE POSTER 2) THE STAGE & A SEA OF SHEEPEOPLE 3) THESE WINDMILLS WERE MADE OF WOOD, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE EXCITING TO HAVE WATCHED THEM BURN ALA BURNING MAN 4) YOUR TYPICAL CONCERT GOERS, DRUNK PASSED OUT DUDE AND COOCHY SHOT 5) PETTY, PETTY, & YET MORE PETTY  6) THE OMINOUS WATCHERS

ALL PHOTOS ©2008 JAMES JACKSON : ANY REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT EXPRESSED WRITTEN CONSENT.


No comments: